Proven Conservative Record
Texas Land Commissioner
- Earned more money than ever before for the Permanent School Fund – the state trust fund for primary education – while diversifying the Fund to protect it against economic instability
During tenure, Jerry earned $8.1 billion for the Permanent School Fund (PSF) – more than the total earned in the entire 124 year history of the PSF
- Managed over $6 billion in state assets, including 13 million acres of state land, state submerged lands, investments
- Successfully managed Hurricanes Dolly and Ike disaster recovery
- Fought to protect and uphold the right of Texans to access the public beach through the Open Beaches Act
- Stood up against radical environmental groups like the Sierra Club to protect Texas beaches and oil and gas development on state lands
- Fought the federal government to prevent a land grab to protect a west Texas lizard
- Signed major new commercially viable renewable energy leases, including the first and largest offshore wind power lease in U.S. history, the first geothermal lease in Texas history, and the first utility scale solar power lease in Texas history. All without using taxpayer dollars and at no risk to Texas taxpayers, while making millions for the PSF
Texas Land Commissioner – Alamo
- Legislature gave control and oversight of the Alamo to the agency in 2011 due to Jerry’s competent and efficient management of the GLO
- Jerry worked with the Daughters of the Republic of Texas to immediately bring much-needed reforms to the historic shrine
- Renovated the Long Barrack Museum and Alamo gift shop to earn more money for the daily management of the complex
- Created action plan to address infrastructure repair plan for Alamo complex, including improvements to health and safety concerns, wiring, visitor amenities, power and air-conditioning
- Created the Alamo Endowment, the first non-profit board to raise private funds for the future of the Alamo. Daughters of the Republic of Texas had a seat on the board.
- Earned trust of award-winning musician and world-renowned Alamo collector Phi Collins and negotiated the largest single donation of Alamo memorabilia in the history of the Alamo. The Phil Collins Alamo collection kicked off a new surge of public interest in the Alamo and will form the basis for a future world-class Alamo museum
- Staged the return of the the historic Travis “Victory or Death” letter to the Alamo — the largest public event at the shrine in recent memory with thousands of visitors and worldwide news coverage
Texas Land Commissioner – Veterans Land Board
- As Chairman of the Texas Veterans Land Board and former Marine aviator, Jerry brought about the greatest expansion of benefits for Texas veterans since World War II, all at no cost to Texas taxpayers.
- Dramatically improved veterans loan origination and servicing, increasing access to home and land loans for veterans
- Expanded outreach efforts statewide to ensure Texas veterans were aware of the benefits due to them for their service
- Opened new Texas State Veterans Homes to provide long-term care for Texas veterans:
- El Paso
- Built Texas State Veterans Cemeteries to provide a dignified place of rest for Texas veterans
- Corpus Christi
- Authored the Texas Concealed Handgun Law and restored a constitutional right for law-abiding Texans.
- Changed the Texas Constitution to allow Texans access to their home equity, a fundamental property right.
- Created the Texas State Veterans Home program to provide Texas veterans with skilled long-term care at no cost to Texas taxpayers.
- Created a new DPS Fugitive Apprehension Unit to round up dangerous parole violators.
- Repealed the motorcycle helmet law, for those who have insurance, in support of individual responsibility rather than government mandate.